The EU’s Machinery Directive (2006/42/EC) is the current version of requirements originally adopted in 1989 to ensure the essential health and safety of a variety of products, including machinery and partly completed machinery; lifting accessories; chains, ropes and webbing; interchangeable equipment; removable mechanical transmission devices; and safety components.
Like many other EU directives, the Machinery Directive establishes broad safety objectives for machinery (“essential requirements”), with detailed technical specifications set out in published technical standards that are incorporated by reference. Manufacturers whose products are tested for compliance with the essential requirements of the Directive and the technical specifications detailed in relevant standards issue a Declaration of Conformity as documentary evidence of compliance and can generally apply the CE mark to their products without further testing. However, some categories of machinery require testing by an EU Notified Body before being placed on the market.
The scope of the Machinery Directive specifically excludes electrical and electronic products, which are covered under Directive 2006/95/EC (the EU’s Electrical Safety Directive).
Compliance with the requirements of the EU’s Machinery is mandatory for all types of machinery imported, marketed or sold in the EU. Products bearing the CE mark are presumed compliant with the requirements of the Machinery Directive as well as the requirements of all other applicable directives (the Low Voltage Directive or the EMC Directive, for example), thereby assuring legal access to all EU member states.
TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body authorised to evaluate products for compliance with the requirements of the EU’s Machinery Directive and approve the use of the CE mark. We offer a range of services to assist machinery and machine product manufacturers and their agents to gain access to the EU marketplace, including:
- Interpretations of the requirements of EU directives
- Advice on which EU directives are applicable to your product
- Health and safety testing assessments and report
- Notified Body opinions and reports
- Advice on Declarations of Conformity and the application of CE marking to your product
In addition, our pre-certification safety compliance assessment service includes a thorough review of the following aspects of your product:
- Product construction - including general construction and assembly, protective earthing connections, electrical, mechanical and fire enclosure requirements, and marking and labelling
- Protection against electric shock - such as isolation barriers and creepage and clearance distances
- Documentation review - including safety critical components, flammability ratings for plastics and other materials, and user, installation and service instructions
We can conduct machinery safety testing and assessments in our fully accredited laboratories or at your own site (testing at manufacturer’s premises, or TMP).
TÜV SÜD’s CE marking services for the EU’s Machinery Directive include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body for the Machinery Directive, and is accredited for machinery safety testing under the IECEE’s CB scheme.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Machinery Directive.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on machinery safety regulations and standards worldwide, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with the requirements of the Machinery Directive in conjunction with other machinery safety regulations and standards.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for all types of machinery and machine products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.